Explore the Grounds!
The vast subject matter explored within the History of Humanity in Granite is neighbored by exhibits that are not to be missed!
Eiffel Tower Stairs
Turning onto Center of the World Drive, you’re greeted by an austere yet interesting, 25 foot tall, 6,600 pound spiral staircase. This is Section 12 of the original stairway of the Eiffel Tower. It is one of 20 such sections from the 500 feet that were replaced by the French Government in 1983.
Built in 1869, the weight of the century-old staircase was causing the top of the Eiffel Tower to sway. A total of 20 sections were sold at auction, and while some are in private hands, many are at museums.
Section 12 was bought in June 1989 at auction at the Chateau de Cheverny. Installing it in Felicity required engineering as well as a building permit. Today it is part of the spirit of Felicity, the town Dedicated to Remembrance. It is also a nod to the Museum’s appreciation of France and to the Founder’s birthplace.
Sundial at Felicity
The gnomon of the 15-foot Sundial is a three-dimensional bronze sculpture of Michelangelo’s Arm of God painted on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The arm points through the Pyramid to the Church on the Hill at Felicity. The bronze Roman numerals mark the time, which is reset accurately at noon each year on December 25, Christmas Day.
The arm was sculpted by artist David Nugent of Nashua, New Hampshire and cast in bronze there. The 80-pound sculpture is embedded in a rock local to the area. The installation required a mining engineer and a special drill.
Half-Scale Liberty Bell
A 250 pound, half-scale replica of the Liberty Bell was cast and installed in time for the Dedication of the History of the United States monument on George Washington’s birthday, February 22, 2014.
During the event, the bell was first rung by representatives from each of the 13 original colonies. Then it was ceremonially rung by their own delegates in honor of education, the arts, Law enforcement, Firefighters, and of each branch of the Military and the OSBS.
The Liberty Bell, urged by Felicia, was contracted by her husband to the sixth-generation Verdin Company, renowned for fine casting. Established in 1842, Verdin is one of the oldest family-owned manufacturers in the country.
Felicity Post Office
The Felicity Post Office opened at a time when thousands of post offices across the country were being eliminated as an economic measure. The Post Office was obtained by guaranteeing that it would be operated for a one-dollar-per-year cost to taxpayers.
The dedication ceremony took place on December 5, 1987 in front of a crowd of several hundred people. Consul Zhou Wen Zhong, later Deputy Foreign Minister of the People’s Republic of China, traveled 600 miles from San Francisco and, at the Founder’s request, gave his speech only in Chinese. A total of 2,300 letters were mailed that day.
More than 35 uncashed $1 checks are on file at Felicity